With the increasing cost of electricity, saving energy in your home has never been more important. There are a number of things that we can all do that won't cost any money to implement.
By following these top energy saving tips, the average home can save around $300 per year doing simple things at no cost or low cost, and save almost three tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions in the process.
1. Install a AAA showerhead - save up to $100 per year
2. Get rid of that old second fridge - save up to $200 per year
3. Use energy efficient light bulbs (CFLs) - save up to $50 per year
4. Switch off lights - save around $25 per year
5. If you are a little cold put on a jumper before turning the heater on - save around $50 per year
6. Close doors, cover windows, and minimise draughts - save around $50 per year
7. Wash clothes in cold water - save around $40 per year
8. Use the clothesline whenever the sun shines - save up to $40 per year
9. Turn off your appliances in standby mode - save up to $50 per year
10. Put the pool pump on a timer to only run for a desired amount of time.- save up to $75 per year
11. Turn off your computers if you are not using them - save up to $50 per year
12. Use energy efficient rated applicances - save up to $100 per year
13. Have lights on sensors so they dont get left on. ie WIR, Hallways, outdoors - save around $50 per year
14. When purchasing new appliances check they have a low energy rating.
15. Adjust your hotwater service setting so it doesnt heat water unneccessarly.