Electrical Safety Tips @ Work
Metal is a conductor of electricity and can be dangerous so rubber heeled shoes are a must in working with electricity.

Lack of electrical maintenance is a major contributing factor in electrical accidents today.
Early warning signs that electrical maintenance is needed are:

    Flickering lights
    Power failure
    Hot fuses
    Constantly tripping safety switches
    Tingles or zaps from appliances (stop using these appliances immediately)
    Leads that are worn or frayed
    Missing or broken guards or covers

Any of these signs indicate the appliance or machinery needs to be attended to immediately. Damaged appliances are dangerous. But, it is equally important to have damaged or problem electrical appliances attended to by a qualified electrician. Repair with care - electrical repair is only for qualified electricians.

Get all equipment regulary tested and tagged to make sure your work tools and place stay safe.

Staying safe around electricity is everyone's responsibility.
You should watch out for yourself, your friends and your family.

Electricity is part of our everyday life - designed to provide us with a safe and reliable source of energy. Most of the time, electricity is our friend, but sometimes it can be dangerous. This happens when we're exposed to it in ways we were not meant to be. We can avoid these hazards by following some simple rules.

Remember  if your hands tingle when you put them into the sink it may mean the water is conducting electricity and something is wrong as you may need to call an electrician.

When you have a bath, there should be nothing electrical anywhere near you. In a bath, the metal plughole and the plumbing is connected to the earth, making it a conductor of electricity. This means if a household appliance such as a light or hair dryer fell into the bath, whoever was in it would also become a conductor of electricity.

Wherever you are, if you get into trouble call out for help and make sure not to touch anything. Turn the electricity off at the main power switch in your switchboard.
Water can conduct electricity because electrons can flow by hitching a ride on atoms and molecules in the water. Water contains dissolved substances, such as salt. These greatly increase the ability of water to conduct electricity. That's why electricity passes easily through our bodies - because our bodies contain water and salt. This is also why it's important to keep water away from electrical appliances.

Be careful around electricity poles and wires when you work
Remember if you are using equipment with height you could hit overhead powerlines, live electricity could travel down to earth and seriously hurt you. So be careful!
If you see a dangerous situation involving electricity, tell an adult!

Know what to do in an electrical emergency
If you come across an emergency involving electricity Ensure your own safety
Turn the power off at the power point and remove the plug (if you are able to do so)

Ring 000
We all hope that we are never in an emergency involving electricity, but if we are, it's important to know what to do.

Before you or your family do any major digging in the yard you should ring Dial Before you Dig on 1100 to make sure there are no underground cables near your property.
If you hit a buried power line you could be electrocuted, as well as possibly interrupting the power to your suburb.

Tempted as you may be to do unauthorised electrical work and repairs around the home, stop and think about your family.
It's just not worth it. Unauthorised electrical work is illegal and you can be fined up to $1,500.
Also you can void your home insurance policy if it is found that damage has occurred as a result of unauthorised electrical work.

Other reference sites to Electrical Safety

Copyright  © DM Electrical|Sout East Melbourne|Web design DM Electrical|2012|Electrician Narre Warren South
Business logo
David Hogan

Electrician South East Melb Rec No: 10057

ABN: 82 162 556 026
Trading under The Hogan Family Trust