Electrical Safety Tips @ Home
APPLIANCES
Remember  Never put a metal object - like a knife - into a toaster. It is very dangerous!

Never put anything in a power point that's not meant for it. Electricity will travel right up the metal object into your body.

Remember - Faulty appliances and damaged electrical leads should be disconnected at the power point and fixed or replaced by an electrician.

Never stack power points. Use a power board or have an extra power point installed. Stacked power points can cause fires.
Always be on the look out for dangers in and around your home. This could be anything from a faulty electrical lead to a "stacked" power point - one with too many plugs in it. These situations could be life threatening and an electrician should be called in to fix them.

Electrical maintenance
Lack of electrical maintenance is a major contributing factor in electrical accidents today.
Early warning signs that electrical maintenance is needed are:

    Flickering lights
    Power failure
    Hot fuses
    Constantly tripping safety switches
    Tingles or zaps from appliances (stop using these appliances immediately)
    Leads that are worn or frayed
    Missing or broken guards or covers

Any of these signs indicate the appliance needs to be attended to immediately. Damaged appliances are dangerous. But, it is equally important to have damaged or problem electrical appliances attended to by a qualified electrician. Repair with care - electrical repair is only for qualified electricians.

DANGERS OF ELECTRICITY
Staying safe around electricity is everyone's responsibility.
You should watch out for yourself, your friends and your family.

Electricity is part of our everyday life - designed to provide us with a safe and reliable source of energy. Most of the time, electricity is our friend, but sometimes it can be dangerous. This happens when we're exposed to it in ways we were not meant to be. We can avoid these hazards by following some simple rules.

WATER AND ELECTRICITY DO NOT MIX    
Remember  if your hands tingle when you put them into the sink it may mean the water is conducting electricity and something is wrong as you may need to call an electrician.

When you have a bath, there should be nothing electrical anywhere near you. In a bath, the metal plughole and the plumbing is connected to the earth, making it a conductor of electricity. This means if a household appliance such as a light or hair dryer fell into the bath, whoever was in it would also become a conductor of electricity.

Wherever you are, if you get into trouble call out for help and make sure not to touch anything. Turn the electricity off at the main power switch in your switchboard.
Water can conduct electricity because electrons can flow by hitching a ride on atoms and molecules in the water. Water contains dissolved substances, such as salt. These greatly increase the ability of water to conduct electricity. That's why electricity passes easily through our bodies - because our bodies contain water and salt. This is also why it's important to keep water away from electrical appliances.

LADDERS
Be careful when climbing a ladder at home. The power lines connected to our house are usually protected, but they can be damaged by rubbing against the gutter or a tree, or through exposure to the sun.

If a person is on a metal ladder and touches the exposed line, the electricity will travel through their body to the earth.
We all come into contact with metal objects on a daily basis - turning on a tap, playing with our computers and toys and even using the fridge. Because metal conducts electricity, you have to be very careful when you use metal items.

ELECTRICAL EMERGENCY
Know what to do in an electrical emergency
If you come across an emergency involving electricity Ensure your own safety
Turn the power off at the power point and remove the plug (if you are able to do so)

Ring 000
   
We all hope that we are never in an emergency involving electricity, but if we are, it's important to know what to do.



Copyright  © DM Electrical|Sout East Melbourne|Web design DM Electrical|2012|Electrician Narre Warren South
Business logo
David Hogan

Electrician South East Melb Rec No: 10057

ABN: 82 162 556 026
Trading under The Hogan Family Trust